Cookie options
Davey
2024-03-07 11:09:17 UTC
On many websites, a box mentioning cookies appears at certain times
when using the website, usually at first contact, and it disappears so
fast that it is impossible to even read it, let alone change any
selection.
To continue means, I assume, that I am deemed to have agreed to
whatever cookies the site wants to put on my computer, and there is no
procedure offered to get the box back. 'Back' just goes to
the previous page, as expected.
What is the way to get eh box back while still on the site, but
before proceeding with whatever I want to do there?
Davey.
Andy Burns
2024-03-07 11:24:50 UTC
Post by Davey
On many websites, a box mentioning cookies appears at certain times
when using the website, usually at first contact, and it disappears so
fast that it is impossible to even read it
Have you got any blocker add-on installed?

e.g. Ghostery/uBlock/Idontcareaboutcookies depending how you configure
them, and them recognising the specific site, will tend to answer "no to
cookies" on your behalf.
Davey
2024-03-07 11:43:49 UTC
On Thu, 7 Mar 2024 11:24:50 +0000
Post by Andy Burns
Post by Davey
On many websites, a box mentioning cookies appears at certain times
when using the website, usually at first contact, and it disappears
so fast that it is impossible to even read it
Have you got any blocker add-on installed?
e.g. Ghostery/uBlock/Idontcareaboutcookies depending how you
configure them, and them recognising the specific site, will tend to
answer "no to cookies" on your behalf.
Hmm. I have Ghostery, so that is a viable option. Thanks.

But I would also like to be able to respond to each box before it
disappears, or at least get the box back into view.
Davey.
Philip Hole
2024-03-07 13:40:39 UTC
Post by Davey
On many websites, a box mentioning cookies appears at certain times
when using the website, usually at first contact, and it disappears so
fast that it is impossible to even read it, let alone change any
selection.
To continue means, I assume, that I am deemed to have agreed to
whatever cookies the site wants to put on my computer, and there is no
procedure offered to get the box back. 'Back' just goes to
the previous page, as expected.
What is the way to get eh box back while still on the site, but
before proceeding with whatever I want to do there?
Many sites have a box at the bottom of the page with general information
- including 'Privacy' and 'Cookies'

eg BBC with 'Cookies' - about them and how to change them.

Have another look at your webpage.
Flop
Davey
2024-03-07 13:54:25 UTC
On Thu, 7 Mar 2024 13:40:39 +0000
Post by Philip Hole
Post by Davey
On many websites, a box mentioning cookies appears at certain times
when using the website, usually at first contact, and it disappears
so fast that it is impossible to even read it, let alone change any
selection.
To continue means, I assume, that I am deemed to have agreed to
whatever cookies the site wants to put on my computer, and there is
no procedure offered to get the box back. 'Back' just goes to
the previous page, as expected.
What is the way to get eh box back while still on the site, but
before proceeding with whatever I want to do there?
Many sites have a box at the bottom of the page with general
information
- including 'Privacy' and 'Cookies'
eg BBC with 'Cookies' - about them and how to change them.
Have another look at your webpage.
I will do so, thank you.
Davey.
Philip Hole
2024-03-07 15:19:34 UTC
Post by Davey
On Thu, 7 Mar 2024 13:40:39 +0000
Post by Philip Hole
Post by Davey
On many websites, a box mentioning cookies appears at certain times
when using the website, usually at first contact, and it disappears
so fast that it is impossible to even read it, let alone change any
selection.
To continue means, I assume, that I am deemed to have agreed to
whatever cookies the site wants to put on my computer, and there is
no procedure offered to get the box back. 'Back' just goes to
the previous page, as expected.
What is the way to get eh box back while still on the site, but
before proceeding with whatever I want to do there?
Many sites have a box at the bottom of the page with general
information
- including 'Privacy' and 'Cookies'
eg BBC with 'Cookies' - about them and how to change them.
Have another look at your webpage.
I will do so, thank you.
Additionally, look in your browser settings. It should show your
cookies. It is possible that the webpage does not use cookies in which
case the cookie folder will not show your website.
Flop
JMB99
2024-03-08 09:45:23 UTC
Post by Davey
What is the way to get eh box back while still on the site, but
before proceeding with whatever I want to do there?
The ones that really annoy me are the one that list many dozens
(hundreds?) of sites when you click to change advertising preferences.

I usually just leave the site at that point.
Philip Hole
2024-03-08 10:09:18 UTC
Post by JMB99
Post by Davey
What is the way to get eh box back while still on the site, but
before proceeding with whatever I want to do there?
The ones that really annoy me are the one that list many dozens
(hundreds?) of sites when you click to change advertising preferences.
I usually just leave the site at that point.
Two points:

I think that there are restrictions on what can be offered when asked
for cookie preferences. That is, the cookies come in two(?) flavours -
essential and non-essential. The latter must be pre-set to 'OFF'. So
when you open the first page there are two options - 'accept as is' and
'Select your choices'. My method is to 'Select your choices' then 'Save
and exit'. This is the default option- just selecting only the
'essential' cookies.

Cunningly located at the bottom of the list of options, you may find a
'Reject all' option. This results in the same as the above paragraph -
only the essential cookies are chosen.
Flop
Davey
2024-03-08 12:56:41 UTC
On Fri, 8 Mar 2024 10:09:18 +0000
Post by Philip Hole
Post by JMB99
Post by Davey
[...]
My problem is that the box often disappears before I get the chance to
even read the options.
I've looked at Ghostery, but so far have not found the correct option to
automatically set cookies. More time needed.
Davey.
Andy Burns
2024-03-08 13:06:54 UTC
Post by Davey
My problem is that the box often disappears before I get the chance to
even read the options.
I've looked at Ghostery, but so far have not found the correct option to
automatically set cookies.
If you temporarily turn-off the "never consent" option, it won't auto
answer "no" to cookies ...
Andy Burns
2024-03-08 10:29:52 UTC
likewise.
AnthonyL
2024-03-08 13:13:15 UTC
Post by JMB99
Post by Davey
What is the way to get eh box back while still on the site, but
before proceeding with whatever I want to do there?
The ones that really annoy me are the one that list many dozens
(hundreds?) of sites when you click to change advertising preferences.
I usually just leave the site at that point.
I switch to Private browsing and then Allow All. They then get wiped
(I hope) when I close the browser.

But the whole cookie thing is poorly implement and design concept,
technically and legally.
--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Abandoned Trolley
2024-03-08 15:21:14 UTC
Post by AnthonyL
But the whole cookie thing is poorly implement and design concept,
technically and legally.
I agree

One way round it is to use a virtual machine for this browsing which
means you can stop worrying about it.

It might sound like a bit of a faff but I quite often run a VM in
VirtualBox and I can always spin up a different machine if I want to do
a bit of "off piste" browsing.

When I am finished I can easily delete the machine and then clone a new
"blank" for the next session - the technique works very well for
internet banking too.
Chris
2024-03-08 15:44:52 UTC
Post by Davey
On many websites, a box mentioning cookies appears at certain times
when using the website, usually at first contact, and it disappears so
fast that it is impossible to even read it, let alone change any
selection.
Sounds like you've got a plugin that auto responds for you.
Post by Davey
To continue means, I assume, that I am deemed to have agreed to
whatever cookies the site wants to put on my computer,
This is contrary to the regulations, but many sites do do this. The
defaults should be the privacy respecting ones.
Post by Davey
and there is no
procedure offered to get the box back. 'Back' just goes to
the previous page, as expected.
What is the way to get eh box back while still on the site, but
before proceeding with whatever I want to do there?
Sites /should/ have somewhere to reconfigure your preferences. It'll be
somewhere in the small print. Many do not, however. In that case you need
to clear your cookies for that site and revisit it.