OT: texts to landline phone
Graham J
2022-03-15 11:22:42 UTC
People send texts to my landline. The phone rings, showing its own
number as the caller, and when I answer a synthetic voice reads the text
to me.

I find this very inconvenient.

Is there any way I can configure my landline phone to reject such
messages?

If this is possible, what would the sender see?
Graham J
Allan
https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/How-to-disable-BT-Text-on-my-landline/td-p/2093796
Graham J
2022-03-15 17:50:02 UTC
Post by Allan
People send texts to my landline.  The phone rings, showing its own
number as the caller, and when I answer a synthetic voice reads the
text to me.
I find this very inconvenient.
Is there any way I can configure my landline phone to reject such messages?
If this is possible, what would the sender see?
Perhaps
https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/How-to-disable-BT-Text-on-my-landline/td-p/2093796
Thanks.

Does anybody knwo what the sender sees now I have disbled the text facility
Graham J
Tim+
2022-03-15 18:58:33 UTC
Post by Graham J
Post by Allan
People send texts to my landline.  The phone rings, showing its own
number as the caller, and when I answer a synthetic voice reads the
text to me.
I find this very inconvenient.
Is there any way I can configure my landline phone to reject such messages?
If this is possible, what would the sender see?
Perhaps
https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/How-to-disable-BT-Text-on-my-landline/td-p/2093796
Thanks.
Does anybody knwo what the sender sees now I have disbled the text facility
Pretty sure they get a recorded voice saying that the number doesn’t accept
text messages.

Tim
Please don't feed the trolls
Ken
2022-03-16 07:50:39 UTC
Post by Graham J
Post by Allan
People send texts to my landline.  The phone rings, showing its own
number as the caller, and when I answer a synthetic voice reads the
text to me.
I find this very inconvenient.
Is there any way I can configure my landline phone to reject such messages?
If this is possible, what would the sender see?
Perhaps
https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/How-to-disable-BT-Text-on-my-landline/td-p/2093796
Thanks.
Does anybody knwo what the sender sees now I have disbled the text facility
Pretty sure they get a recorded voice saying that the number doesn’t accept
text messages.
It's a text, so they won't hear any voice. I think the outcome would
be the same as any other text sent to a valid destination that failed
to be delivered.

An alternative approach is to have a handset capable of receiving
texts. If you send a text from it the handset will be registered for
text then messages would arrive and be displayed as text.
Tim
Tim+
2022-03-16 08:02:55 UTC
Post by Ken
Post by Graham J
Post by Allan
[...]
You’re right. I misremembered. Doesn’t seem to work on my line now but my
phone service is from Zen now.

Tim
Please don't feed the trolls
Davey
2022-03-16 08:52:53 UTC
On 16 Mar 2022 08:02:55 GMT
Post by Tim+
Post by Ken
Post by Tim+
Post by Graham J
Post by Allan
[...]
If you call Zen and ask them about this, I will be interested in their
response, as I have the same experience as you.
Davey.
Tim+
2022-03-16 09:11:12 UTC
Post by Davey
On 16 Mar 2022 08:02:55 GMT
Post by Tim+
Post by Ken
Post by Tim+
Post by Graham J
Post by Allan
[...]
I emailed them last night. No reply yet but I’ll pass it on.

Tim
Please don't feed the trolls
Davey
2022-03-16 14:16:18 UTC
On 16 Mar 2022 09:11:12 GMT
Post by Tim+
Post by Davey
On 16 Mar 2022 08:02:55 GMT
Post by Tim+
Post by Ken
Post by Tim+
Post by Graham J
Post by Allan
[...]
Thanks. Up to now, I have just listened to the messages, and if I have
been able to understand them, ignored them anyway, as they seem
irrelevant or duplicate an e-mail. Thankfully it is a very rare
occurrence.
Davey.
Graham J
2022-03-16 15:56:30 UTC
Davey wrote:

[snip]
Post by Davey
Thanks. Up to now, I have just listened to the messages, and if I have
been able to understand them, ignored them anyway, as they seem
irrelevant or duplicate an e-mail. Thankfully it is a very rare
occurrence.
OP here.

Having disable text receiving on the landline, I tried sending it a text
from my mobile - no error message on mobile having waited 5 minutes.

I will report back if there is any message about non-delivery.
Graham J
Graham J
2022-03-21 08:29:24 UTC
Post by Graham J
[snip]
Post by Davey
Thanks. Up to now, I have just listened to the messages, and if I have
been able to understand them, ignored them anyway, as they seem
irrelevant or duplicate an e-mail. Thankfully it is a very rare
occurrence.
OP here.
Having disable text receiving on the landline, I tried sending it a text
from my mobile - no error message on mobile having waited 5 minutes.
I will report back if there is any message about non-delivery.
And 5 days later - no message on my mobile to indicate non-delivery of
the text.
Graham J
Tim+
2022-03-21 10:18:53 UTC
Post by Graham J
Post by Graham J
[snip]
Post by Davey
Thanks. Up to now, I have just listened to the messages, and if I have
been able to understand them, ignored them anyway, as they seem
irrelevant or duplicate an e-mail. Thankfully it is a very rare
occurrence.
OP here.
Having disable text receiving on the landline, I tried sending it a text
from my mobile - no error message on mobile having waited 5 minutes.
I will report back if there is any message about non-delivery.
And 5 days later - no message on my mobile to indicate non-delivery of
the text.
Ditto when I tried it. The thing is, I’m almost certain that when I first
blocked SMSs to my landline, when I tested it I got a message bouncing back
saying that the number didn’t accept SMSs. This was several years ago
though.

Tim
Please don't feed the trolls
Davey
2022-03-21 15:26:29 UTC
On 21 Mar 2022 10:18:53 GMT
Post by Tim+
Post by Graham J
Post by Graham J
[snip]
Post by Davey
[...]
That's probably an "improvement" somebody thought would be a good idea.
Davey.
MikeS
2022-03-15 21:26:12 UTC
Post by Graham J
Post by Allan
People send texts to my landline.  The phone rings, showing its own
number as the caller, and when I answer a synthetic voice reads the
text to me.
I find this very inconvenient.
Is there any way I can configure my landline phone to reject such messages?
If this is possible, what would the sender see?
Perhaps
https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/How-to-disable-BT-Text-on-my-landline/td-p/2093796
Thanks.
Does anybody knwo what the sender sees now I have disbled the text facility
How about the simple solution? Send the phone number an SMS from your
mobile (or somebody else's) and see what happens.
Andy Burns
follow the IVR, used to be option 1, 5
Graham J
Graham J
Pamela
2022-03-15 19:42:12 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
People send texts to my landline.  The phone rings, showing its own
number as the caller, and when I answer a synthetic voice reads the
text to me.
I find this very inconvenient.
Is there any way I can configure my landline phone to reject such messages?
call 0800 587 5252
follow the IVR, used to be option 1, 5
Is the sender informed at the time they send that their text won't get
through?
Bill Borland
2024-02-05 15:06:51 UTC
I have seen nothing on either uk.telecom or uk.telecom.broadband for
about a week (my other newsgroups are working normally - all from
Eternal September) - are these groups dead or is something wrong at my
end?
Bill Borland
Andy Burns
It's just been quiet, I think
Peter Johnson
2024-02-05 17:18:38 UTC
Post by Bill Borland
I have seen nothing on either uk.telecom or uk.telecom.broadband for
about a week (my other newsgroups are working normally - all from
Eternal September) - are these groups dead or is something wrong at my
end?
No one's got anything useful to say.

Jeff Gaines
2022-03-15 12:08:34 UTC
People send texts to my landline. The phone rings, showing its own number
as the caller, and when I answer a synthetic voice reads the text to me.
I find this very inconvenient.
Is there any way I can configure my landline phone to reject such messages?
If this is possible, what would the sender see?
Get a decent landline 'phone that treats them as texts? Gigaset do a good
range.
--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who do binary and those
who don't.
MB
2022-03-20 22:51:10 UTC
Post by Jeff Gaines
Get a decent landline 'phone that treats them as texts? Gigaset do a good
range.
The BT DECT phones send and receive texts but I found the service
unreliable so not longer use it.