Why do EE adverts use a Transatlantic accent
JMB99
2023-11-13 20:51:36 UTC
Anyone any idea why TV adverts for EE use a Transatlantic accent?

I don't know about others but always puts me off an advertiser.
Andy Burns
2023-11-13 20:54:26 UTC
Post by JMB99
Anyone any idea why TV adverts for EE use a Transatlantic accent?
Is Kevin Bacon still in them? If so, that'll be why ...
See also Ryobi power tools.
JMB99
2023-11-13 21:32:05 UTC
So why use a foreign actor to advertise in the UK.
notya...@gmail.com
2023-11-14 12:11:28 UTC
Depends on the product and whether the actor gets the advert noticed - E.g. Arnold Schwarzenegger for Compare the Meerkat - a double ad' in reality, because it allowed Arnie to reprise a series of different acts - rather than playing a soulless robot again.
Chris
2023-11-15 01:05:00 UTC
Post by JMB99
Post by Andy Burns
Is Kevin Bacon still in them? If so, that'll be why ...
So why use a foreign actor to advertise in the UK.
Adds "star" quality. See also the various De Niro ads, Warburton, Just Eat,
etc.

If it doesn't work for you, you're probably not the target demographic.
JMB99
2023-11-15 07:58:35 UTC
Post by Chris
If it doesn't work for you, you're probably not the target demographic.
True, aimed at the people who must buy the latest iphone because it is a
different colour. :-)

David Wade
2023-11-13 22:12:16 UTC
Post by JMB99
Anyone any idea why TV adverts for EE use a Transatlantic accent?
The actor is from the US?
Post by JMB99
I don't know about others but always puts me off an advertiser.
Me too. He always sounds like he is talking down to me.

Dave
Jeff Gaines
2023-11-13 22:34:49 UTC
Post by JMB99
Anyone any idea why TV adverts for EE use a Transatlantic accent?
I don't know about others but always puts me off an advertiser.
There's a couple of companies do that. I assume they are targetting the UK
equivalent of trailer trash, not me.
--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Captcha is thinking of stopping the use of pictures with traffic lights as